Trolleybus city: Zurich [Schweiz]
|City:||Zurich (366.145 citizens)|
|Operator:||Verkehrsbetriebe Zurich (VBZ ZÃ¼ri-Linie)|
Link to route-sheme:
Liniennetzplan Stadt ZH.pdf
The six Trolleybus routes have a day time service of 7ï¿½ minutes. These routes are cross town routes. Since the introduction of the new timetables on 10.12.2006 route 32 has a rush hour peak service between 07:00 and 09:00 AM and 04:00 and 06:00 PM of every five minutes. An order for 21 new articulated Trolleybuses and 12 new double articulated Trolleybuses will be placed in 2011.
News for Zurich
|31||Schlieren - Farbhof - Hardplatz - Bahnhofplatz/HB - Kreuzplatz - Hegibachplatz||km||7½/7½|
|32||Holzerhurd - Bucheggplatz - Hardplatz - Rotbuchstrasse - Goldbrunnenplatz - Strassenverkehrsamt||km||6 /7½|
|33||Bahnhof Tiefenbrunnen - Hegibachplatz - Klusplatz - Kirche Flundern - Rotbuchstrasse - Hardplatz - Albisriederplatz - Triemli||km||7½/7½|
|34||Klusplatz - Witikon||km||7½/7½|
|46||Bahnhofquai/HB - Rütihof||km||5-6/7-8|
|71||Rosengartenstraße - Albisriederplatz||km||8/ -|
|72||Milchbuck - Bucheggplatz - Hardplatz - Utobrücke - Morgental||km||7½/7½|
1 frequency: minutes peak / off peak
|61 - 77||17||Hess/Vossloh-Kiepe DGT||2007/08|
|78 - 91||14||Hess/Vossloh-Kiepe DGT||2012/14|
|106, 122, 131, 142||4||Mercedes-Benz O405GTZ/ABB||1994|
|145 - 161||17||Hess/Vossloh-Kiepe||2007|
|162 - 182||21||Hess/Vossloh-Kiepe GN||2013|
Vehicles: 75 trolleybuses
The first route of this system, route B (Bezirksgebï¿½ude - Bucheggplatz), went into service on the 27th. of May 1939. This route, which was 4.1 km in length, was followed in June 1942 by route A with a length of 5.7 km and in 1946 by route C (Klusplatz-Witikon) at 2.5 kilometres total length. Route C, being cut off from the depot in Flundern, used a single axle trailer type of construction via which it was able to take power from the overhead wiring of tram system. With these trailers, four in all, the Trolleybuses traversed the distance between depot and Klusplatz where the Trolleybus overhead was installed. It was not until the 13th. of February 1956 that these trailers could be abandoned and overhead to and from the Trolleybus depot was installed.
Route B was extended to Utohof on the 4th. February 1952.
1952 also saw the procurement of 10 new Trolleybuses which were partly as replacements for the six 1939 vehicles that had been given to other systems during 1951.
On the 11th. of October the routes were designated new numbers and routes A, B and C became 33, 32 and 34 consecutively. On the 1st. of January 1957 the new Trolleybus route 31 was inaugurated. This route was originally tram route 1. Only seven days after its inauguration it was extended to Farbhof and a little over a year later, on 08.04.1958 a further extension to Schlieren followed. A further 25 solo 12 metre Trolleybuses had been purchased for route 31. During 1957 an articulated Trolleybus was successfully tested and eventually led to the purchase, during the period 1959 to 1964, of 32 articulated Trolleybuses. The company was able to sell the relatively young 12 metre vehicles to Geneva and Lausanne.
On the 30th. of October 1967 route 33 was converted to diesel bus operation due to extensive road works. The beginning of the seventies saw a definite reversal of the anti Trolleybus trend and, as a result, on the 3rd. of May 1971 route 34 was extended as far as Witikion. In May of the next year the town council approved a credit for the purchase of 31 new articulated Trolleybuses and the conversion of three diesel bus routes to Trolleybus operation. The first of these routes to be realised was route 74 which went into service on the 2nd. of April 1975. The plans for route 62 were abandoned because of a railway crossing with overhead for the trains and road works. Instead route 33 was converted back to Trolleybus operation and incorporated with diesel bus route 73 to make a new, long semi circular route.
In 1986 and 1987 a Mercedes Benz Trolleybus type O 405 GTZ was successfully tested. This test phase led to an order being placed for 35 vehicles of this type which were delivered during 1988. These new Trolleybuses replaced the vehicles which were taken into service between 1959 and 1964. During 1994 a further 43 articulated Trolleybuses were acquired as replacements for the 1975 series and for Trolleybus nr. 12 which was destroyed by fire on the 1st. March 1992. The conversion of two further diesel bus routes to Trolleybus had also dictated an increase in the fleet size.
The 1st. of September 1994 saw the inauguration of the first conversion, route 72 and just under a year later, on the 28th. of May 1995, route 46 also went into service as a Trolleybus route. Route 33 was also extended, by 3.8 kilometres, on the 2nd. of November 1998 from Fluntern to Bahnhof Tiefenbrunnen. This route now has a total length of 14.5 kilometres.
The last 10 years have seen a total expansion of the network from 36.3 kilometres in 1996 to the present day 57.8 kilometres.
The last 12m-trolleybuses served in the last operational years only as driving school cars, here tro